Monday, June 4, 2012

Armchair BEA Introduction Post

Just for funzees (read: need a break from writing my med school personal statement), I decided to participate in this Armchair BEA thing. (More info here.)

So here we go!


1. Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?

I'm 23-year-old wannabe fantasy writer. I also work in a spinal cord injury lab. [More about me.]

I started this blog in September. I want to meet other readers and writers. Also, I have a lot of opinions and since most of my friends don't read, I have very few people to share them with.

2. What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2012?

I'm currently reading Justine Larbaliester's Liar and like it a lot. I love risky books with complicated protagonists and unreliable narrators.

My favorite book from 2012 was probably The Secret History by Donna Tartt, though I also loved The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and Like Mandarin and Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard.

3. Tell us one non-book-related thing that everyone reading your blog may not know about you.

Do you ever stare at a really tall building and think "I wonder how I could get to the top of that"? I do. All the time.

4. What is your favorite feature on your blog (i.e. author interviews, memes, something specific to your blog)?

My favorite feature is probably the New Adult Project, though I haven't been adding books as frequently as I should.

5. Where do you see your blog in five years?

On the internet. Where do you see yours?

6. Which is your favorite post that you have written that you want everyone to read?

Ooh, hard to say. Take your pick:

-Why I don't like writer protagonists.

-Rant about the movie In Time and how "themes" do not make great literature.

-Wondering why we don't see more post-dystopian novels.

-The kind of "internal conflict" I want to see more of.

-Response to the "dead girls on covers" trend.

-Rant about racism and sexism in upcoming Arabian Nights movie.

-If you're interested in New Adult books.

7. If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?

I hear Amelia Bedelia is a really good cook.

8. What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?

Hogwarts. Duh.

9. What is your favorite part about the book blogging community? Is there anything that you would like to see change in the coming years?

I love how vocal everyone is. Remember when the whole Jessica Verday/Wicked Pretty Things/Trisha Telep scandal broke out? Everyone came out in support of gay characters in YA, and it actually made a difference. I'm not sure whether or not I'm a "YA writer," but that's the incident that made me want to be part of the YA community.

What would I like to see change? I don't actually expect this to change, but I feel like a lot of writing advice and opinion posts are really repetitive. It would be nice to hear more people say something new, rather than just repeating what a hundred other people already said.

10. Have your reading tastes changed since you started blogging? How?

I've only been blogging since September, so not a lot. Ask me again in five years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...